- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups trimmed Kale, cut up
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups hot cooked (about 4 cups uncooked) whole-wheat pasta shells
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
To prepare pesto, combine boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain tomatoes in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
Drop tomatoes, almonds, cheese, basil, and garlic through food chute with food processor on; process until minced. Keeping processor on, add salt and red pepper. Slowly pour 1 1/2 tablespoons oil through food chute; process until well-blended, scraping sides. Add reserved soaking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture appears smooth. Set aside.
To prepare greens, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add Swiss chard; stir-fry 1 minute or until leaves turn bright green. Add water, salt, and pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes.
Combine pesto and hot cooked pasta in a large bowl; toss well. Add greens mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with Parmesan.