When you step into your first yoga class, it will feel new and exciting. It should be, it is a new experience! You won't quite know where to begin because you are likely to be nervous. This is completely understandable. However, this is when our bodies go into auto pilot following every movement that we see the instructor doing. We are not paying attention to our surroundings and our body gestures because we are mostly tuned in to what our mind is thinking or what is coming next.
So, if you are worrying about what is going on in there and not what is going on the outside, you could be making some of the most common mistakes doing yoga that people make and not getting the full benefit of your routine. Yoga is a practice and is about learning. Learning is an art so have fun with it. Beginner yoga can be intimidating but the point is to take baby steps and pay attention to what your doing while moving. Don't worry about the thoughts that are keeping you back.
Here are the 5 common mistakes that people make when doing yoga.
1) Stressing about what people think about us. We all have a tendency to worry what the next person to you is thinking. Unfortunately, that is a thought process that is hard to steer from at times but you have to remember that you are in there for you. No one is there to judge you. Also, don't compare yourself to others. They are there for the same reasons that you are. When you walk in, clear your mind of doubts and any negativity. Besides, yoga is a mind set workout so why not try to focus on clearing it by setting an intention.
2) Don't try to hard. We are all naturally competitive people. It is in our blood because we as a society are taught to go into survival mode when we see and think someone is better than us. Yoga is not your normal workout! It is not a competition nor a game. Yoga is about being at peace and loving yourself as well as your classmates. It is one class that you can leave your ego at the door. So, let your vulnerability show because you would be amazed at how much you could learn about yourself when you do.
3) Don't go to far!! We often try to push ourselves to the limits. Forcing yourself into a pose is not only uncomfortable but dangerous. Don't stretch farther than you are able to. Yoga is a passive stretch and never should be aggressive. Yoga is like making love to yourself. No one else is going to do it better than you. So, don't be rough.
4) Breath.... Most people forget to breath during their yoga workouts. Remember, we need 2 things is life in order to survive, water and oxygen. Well, those and food of course. And, you definitely don't want to be breathing like you are getting a regular cardio workout. That will just mess up the process that yoga instills. Life begins with oxygen and our body needs it in order to be rid of stress, anxiety, and toxins. Oxygen does replenish everything that we have done to our bodies throughout the day. And, it is free so use as much of it as you can.
5) Don't text and yoga!!! Leave the electronics and the everyday hustle & bustle at the door. No one ever got any relaxation staying on their electronics and your fellow classmates definitely don't want to hear if go off. Yoga is about therapy for the mind, body, and soul. So, enjoy what you came to do.
Namaste and Blessings be.
If you are interested in learning more about beginner yoga or reiki yoga, feel free to contact me or comment below.