If you are like me and have sensitive skin, then you know that it is hard to find products that work well with it. One thing that I suffer from is inflammation which leaves my face feeling worse than a very bad sunburn. Inflammation can cause skin rashes, redness, dermatitis (eczema), rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis. Sometimes it can be minor and other times major. Sometimes, people get this confused with having dried skin. Each are different and don't necessarily go together in most cases. Skin inflammation can be caused by a numerous of things. They are as followed:
-Being in the sun
-Chemicals used such as detergents or soaps
-Medical issues or weak immune system
-Foods that you consume high in carbs or sugar
-Medicines that you are possibly taking
While there are products over the counter that do claim to help, I decided to make my own homemade anti-inflammatory mask a few days ago because my own personal experience with those products. I find that that they never truly sooth the skin nor calm it. However, this homemade mask that I made definitely did the trick and it felt so, so GREAT.
All these ingredients have anti-inflammatory properties and are great for any kind of eczema, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis because they help relieve discomfort, have antiseptic healing benefits, help open the sinuses, relieve the muscles, and help with acne. Not to mention, it helps with your nervous system because of the awesome aromatherapy.
If you are interested in more DIY home remedies, follow me on my facebook page.
Back pain is the most common issue that most people suffer from. According to the American Chiropractic Association,
" 31 million Americans experience low-back pain at any given time"
You would be surprised to know that most back pain doesn't stem from injuries or medical conditions. Most backaches occur from repetition in everyday movements such as bending wrong, lifting things the wrong way, sitting or lying to long, or because of our posture overall. You can sprain ligaments, strain muscles, rupture disks, and irritate joints, all of which can lead to back pain. The back is so complex that anything can cause these issues.
There are preventative measures that you can take to avoid these pitfalls. Here are 7 different yoga moves that you can do anywhere to relieve and prevent backaches.
Down Dogs help stretch the the whole body. It can improve sinuses, boost your immune system, and create blood flow. It does calm the body and mind. It is also good for digestion.
Cat and Cow Pose is great for back and neck pain. It helps with any tension that you may have in these areas after a long hard day at work.
Child's pose is great for any kind of stress because it is a restful pose. It increases blood circulation and massages your internal organs. It also stretches out the spine, lower back, hips, thighs, knees, and ankles.
Pigeon pose helps to open the hips and hip flexors. It also helps to stretch the thighs and groin area. A lot of people don't realize it but we do carry stress in our hips which cause them to tighten. When they start to tighten, this actually can increase back pain because those muscles are all connected.
Legs up the wall pose is great inversion without the experience. It increases blood flow, arthritis, headaches, high blood pressure, low blood pressure and insomnia, & digestion. It calms the mind while helping the nervous system. It also relieves lower back pain by helping to decompress the spine.
Wide leg straddle stretch helps the interior and exterior of the legs while helping the back. You can do this position either sitting or standing.
Lying down single leg hamstring stretch is awesome for the hamstrings, calves, and lower back. You can also do this one sitting up with both legs out in seated double hamstring stretch.
When you step into your first yoga class, it will feel new and exciting. It should be, it is a new experience! You won't quite know where to begin because you are likely to be nervous. This is completely understandable. However, this is when our bodies go into auto pilot following every movement that we see the instructor doing. We are not paying attention to our surroundings and our body gestures because we are mostly tuned in to what our mind is thinking or what is coming next.
So, if you are worrying about what is going on in there and not what is going on the outside, you could be making some of the most common mistakes doing yoga that people make and not getting the full benefit of your routine. Yoga is a practice and is about learning. Learning is an art so have fun with it. Beginner yoga can be intimidating but the point is to take baby steps and pay attention to what your doing while moving. Don't worry about the thoughts that are keeping you back.
Here are the 5 common mistakes that people make when doing yoga.
1) Stressing about what people think about us. We all have a tendency to worry what the next person to you is thinking. Unfortunately, that is a thought process that is hard to steer from at times but you have to remember that you are in there for you. No one is there to judge you. Also, don't compare yourself to others. They are there for the same reasons that you are. When you walk in, clear your mind of doubts and any negativity. Besides, yoga is a mind set workout so why not try to focus on clearing it by setting an intention.
2) Don't try to hard. We are all naturally competitive people. It is in our blood because we as a society are taught to go into survival mode when we see and think someone is better than us. Yoga is not your normal workout! It is not a competition nor a game. Yoga is about being at peace and loving yourself as well as your classmates. It is one class that you can leave your ego at the door. So, let your vulnerability show because you would be amazed at how much you could learn about yourself when you do.
3) Don't go to far!! We often try to push ourselves to the limits. Forcing yourself into a pose is not only uncomfortable but dangerous. Don't stretch farther than you are able to. Yoga is a passive stretch and never should be aggressive. Yoga is like making love to yourself. No one else is going to do it better than you. So, don't be rough.
4) Breath.... Most people forget to breath during their yoga workouts. Remember, we need 2 things is life in order to survive, water and oxygen. Well, those and food of course. And, you definitely don't want to be breathing like you are getting a regular cardio workout. That will just mess up the process that yoga instills. Life begins with oxygen and our body needs it in order to be rid of stress, anxiety, and toxins. Oxygen does replenish everything that we have done to our bodies throughout the day. And, it is free so use as much of it as you can.
5) Don't text and yoga!!! Leave the electronics and the everyday hustle & bustle at the door. No one ever got any relaxation staying on their electronics and your fellow classmates definitely don't want to hear if go off. Yoga is about therapy for the mind, body, and soul. So, enjoy what you came to do.
Namaste and Blessings be.
If you are interested in learning more about beginner yoga or reiki yoga, feel free to contact me or comment below.
A lot of people feel that yoga is not for them. That they have to be a fitness expert to do it or be flexible like a contortionist in order to take classes. However, that is not the case. Yoga is not about bending in awkward positions or being a full yogi. It is about life because yoga is life. Yoga is about feeling good in your own skin, breathing oxygen to replenish what life we have lost because of everyday stress and situations, and about being happy with who you are. It is about feeling comfortable in your own body. Yoga is not a workout but a life practice that brings us back to the meaning of life. There are many advantages to doing yoga and not all are physical.
Here I mention the 7 main reasons why you should do yoga:
1) THE PAIN IS WHAT GONE..... If you have any recurring pain from injuries or medical conditions, yoga can help. It has been known that yoga helps improve pain because it aids in the body's internal circulation process. Examples include blood flow which aids in cell renewal and repair for torn muscles and synovial fluid to the joints for better functioning for such people with arthritis.
2) NO MORE COUNTING SHEEP......Yoga has been known to help with help increase sleeping patterns by providing more peacefulness leaving sleepers to fall asleep easier and faster. So, if you can not sleep try doing a few yoga poses before you go to bed.
3) THERE IS A RIGHT WAY TO BREATH.................Yoga can help with proper focused breathing which we don't usually do because we lack oxygen. Usually, when we are stressed by situations or busy with things we don't get the full breath that we should because of sighing. Other conditions such as asthma and allergies can also be an issue. Pranayamas is the best breathing technique that you could practice especially when dealing with stress.
4) STRAIGHT AS A BOARD........Yoga can help with your posture by increasing your core. Our core is the trunk of our tree, the foundation of our house. If we have a strong core, our backs will last a lifetime with no hunch. With a strong core you can get a better strength or cardio workout and you will be able to function in everyday life.
5) YOU BECOME STRONGER........Yoga has been known to increase strength because it is a body resistant type of training. A safe alternative for anyone who has been injured or with certain limitations. Also, it is not just physical strength that you gain but mental strength as well. So, you gain two in one.
6) MEDITATION........yoga can lead to mediation which most times which is down time for you. It is the best me time anyone can have. We all get busy and frustrated with things in life so meditation is the best practice to focus on you and take care of your needs and mentality. It not only improves you overall but your life especially. You don't have to spend an hour on meditation but only 5 minutes a day of quiet time would help.
7) THIS IS WHO YOU ARE.......Yoga can also help you getting in touch with you. Sometimes, you may think you are a certain way but only to discover that someone inside of you wants to emerge. Yoga helps us to identify who we are in life. It also helps us with feeling comfortable in our own skin.
So, next time you feel intimidated about taking a class think about the reasons that brought you there in the first place. Why do you want to try it? What positive gains do you want to make with yoga? If you don't want to go alone then bring a friend for support. The idea is to have fun with it. Nothing in life is perfect especially not us as humans.
Secondly, if you are not a fan of yoga that is ok. Maybe you have not found that certain yoga teacher that makes it fun for you. Don't give it up the first time you try it. Try it several times with various teachers to find that one. Have patience with yourself and trust the process.
Or, you may think yoga is to slow. If that is the case, then you should try various methods of yoga. There are so many different yoga classes and techniques that there is bound to be one for you. Power yoga is the best if you like a faster pace.
Either way, yoga is for everyone in all walks of life!!!