A lot of people feel that yoga is not for them. That they have to be a fitness expert to do it or be flexible like a contortionist in order to take classes. However, that is not the case. Yoga is not about bending in awkward positions or being a full yogi. It is about life because yoga is life. Yoga is about feeling good in your own skin, breathing oxygen to replenish what life we have lost because of everyday stress and situations, and about being happy with who you are. It is about feeling comfortable in your own body. Yoga is not a workout but a life practice that brings us back to the meaning of life. There are many advantages to doing yoga and not all are physical.
Here I mention the 7 main reasons why you should do yoga:
1) THE PAIN IS WHAT GONE..... If you have any recurring pain from injuries or medical conditions, yoga can help. It has been known that yoga helps improve pain because it aids in the body's internal circulation process. Examples include blood flow which aids in cell renewal and repair for torn muscles and synovial fluid to the joints for better functioning for such people with arthritis.
2) NO MORE COUNTING SHEEP......Yoga has been known to help with help increase sleeping patterns by providing more peacefulness leaving sleepers to fall asleep easier and faster. So, if you can not sleep try doing a few yoga poses before you go to bed.
3) THERE IS A RIGHT WAY TO BREATH.................Yoga can help with proper focused breathing which we don't usually do because we lack oxygen. Usually, when we are stressed by situations or busy with things we don't get the full breath that we should because of sighing. Other conditions such as asthma and allergies can also be an issue. Pranayamas is the best breathing technique that you could practice especially when dealing with stress.
4) STRAIGHT AS A BOARD........Yoga can help with your posture by increasing your core. Our core is the trunk of our tree, the foundation of our house. If we have a strong core, our backs will last a lifetime with no hunch. With a strong core you can get a better strength or cardio workout and you will be able to function in everyday life.
5) YOU BECOME STRONGER........Yoga has been known to increase strength because it is a body resistant type of training. A safe alternative for anyone who has been injured or with certain limitations. Also, it is not just physical strength that you gain but mental strength as well. So, you gain two in one.
6) MEDITATION........yoga can lead to mediation which most times which is down time for you. It is the best me time anyone can have. We all get busy and frustrated with things in life so meditation is the best practice to focus on you and take care of your needs and mentality. It not only improves you overall but your life especially. You don't have to spend an hour on meditation but only 5 minutes a day of quiet time would help.
7) THIS IS WHO YOU ARE.......Yoga can also help you getting in touch with you. Sometimes, you may think you are a certain way but only to discover that someone inside of you wants to emerge. Yoga helps us to identify who we are in life. It also helps us with feeling comfortable in our own skin.
So, next time you feel intimidated about taking a class think about the reasons that brought you there in the first place. Why do you want to try it? What positive gains do you want to make with yoga? If you don't want to go alone then bring a friend for support. The idea is to have fun with it. Nothing in life is perfect especially not us as humans.
Secondly, if you are not a fan of yoga that is ok. Maybe you have not found that certain yoga teacher that makes it fun for you. Don't give it up the first time you try it. Try it several times with various teachers to find that one. Have patience with yourself and trust the process.
Or, you may think yoga is to slow. If that is the case, then you should try various methods of yoga. There are so many different yoga classes and techniques that there is bound to be one for you. Power yoga is the best if you like a faster pace.
Either way, yoga is for everyone in all walks of life!!!